Gorka Izagirre Ama

New generation Txacolí Vizcaíno

2015

Gorka Izagirre Ama 2015

92
Peñin
91
Parker
90
Suckling
White wine Respectful agriculture.
£32.83
Duty paid
6x
-5%
£31.30
unit
Duty paid

Get €0.98 added to your Decántalo Balance when you buy this product
Get € 0.98 added to your Decántalo Balance when you buy this product
Gorka Izagirre Ama 2015 is a creamy white wine with intense floral fragrances of violet and blossom honey. On the palate it is oily, enveloping and broad with hints of smoke, tropical fruits and light toffee. The retronasal reintroduces the smoke, with hints of custard and citrus touches.
White wine Respectful agriculture.
Alcohol: 13.50%
Production area: Spain Basque Country
Contains sulphites
Tipo de Uva: 100% Hondarribi Zuri
  • New
Gorka Izagirre Ama
White wine Respectful agriculture.
All prices are Duty Paid. All expenses to be paid for United Kingdom are included in the price.

Right to return (14 calendar days)

Customer rating: Excellent

Service

Pairing

Style Gorka Izagirre Ama 2015

Characteristics Gorka Izagirre Ama

Real reviews from customers who have purchased this product

Gorka Izagirre Ama is a white wine made by Txacolí Gorka Izagirre with the Hondarribi Zuri variety in the D.O. Bizkaiko Txakolina (Basque Country).

Gorka Izagirre made his enogastronomic dream come true in 2005 with the aim of putting Biscayan dishes and wines back in their rightful place. To do this, he champions the area’s native varieties and produces high-quality pure Atlantic white wines. At present, the project is run by his son Bertol, who manages the winery and his nephew Eneko Atxa, in the restaurant kitchen, which has three Michelin stars and is called Azurmendi.

Gorka Izagirre Ama comes from one area of Astoreka, a southeast-facing estate in the town of Larrabetzu (Bizkaia). They use traditional agriculture and restrict the yield to 4,000 kg/hectare to achieve high quality grapes. The harvest is carried out manually at the optimum moment of ripeness.

Once the Gorka Izagirre Ama grape is destemmed and pressed, 90% of the first pressings ferment in stainless steel and the remaining 10% in new French oak barrels. It then rests on lees for 2 months and the resulting wines are combined to age in a tank for 22 months. Finally the wine is clarified naturally before bottling.

Ama, which means mother in Basque, is a mature, complex and enveloping wine. A new-generation Txacoli that Gorka Izagirre uses to transport us to its origins in his motherland.
196518
2000 Items

Specific References

ean13
8437001090167

Ratings Gorka Izagirre Ama

Tasting notes Gorka Izagirre Ama

Alcohol: 13.50%
Production area: Spain Basque Country
Type of grape: Hondarribi Zuri
Tipo de Uva: 100% Hondarribi Zuri
Contains sulphites

The truth is that for many centuries, nobody gave txakolí wine serious consideration, and very few mourned its disappearance. Compared to powerful wines with a higher alcohol content, txakolí was considered a ‘little’ local wine (‘vinillo’) of little interest. For a long time, a wine’s alcohol content was its only introduction. There were periods where still very poor production methods had not allowed the varieties to speak for themselves, and what’s more, txakolí forms part of a family economy at the same home-grown level as meat, milk and fish. In addition, the txacolí industry has not been advanced or prepared enough to rigorously produce this small oenological joy until the last few decades.

Pictures and situation D.O. Bizkaiko Txakolina