Finca La Emperatriz Gran Vino Tinto

A precise and elegant Viñedo Singular wine

2016

Finca La Emperatriz Gran Vino Tinto 2016

93
Peñin
94
Parker
93
Atkin
93
Suckling
Red wine Aged in wood.
£33.22
Duty paid
6x
-5%
£31.68
unit
Duty paid

Get €1.00 added to your Decántalo Balance when you buy this product
Get € 1.00 added to your Decántalo Balance when you buy this product
Finca La Emperatriz Gran Vino Tinto 2016 is a fine and elegant red wine where the presence of the Viura white variety brings acidity and freshness. A wine with a classic Rioja style but with clean and precise aromas and flavours and the promise of an excellent bottle-aging potential.
Red wine Aged in wood.
Production area: Spain La Rioja
Contains sulphites
Tipo de Uva: 70% Viura, 28% Tempranillo, 2% Garnacha Tinta
  • New
Finca La Emperatriz Gran Vino Tinto
Red wine Aged in wood.
All prices are Duty Paid. All expenses to be paid for United Kingdom are included in the price.

Right to return (14 calendar days)

Customer rating: Excellent

Service

Pairing

Style Finca La Emperatriz Gran Vino Tinto 2016

Characteristics Finca La Emperatriz Gran Vino Tinto

Real reviews from customers who have purchased this product

Finca La Emperatriz Gran Vino Tinto is a Viñedo Singular red wine coupage of the Tempranillo, Garnacha and Viura varieties produced by Viñedos Hermanos Hernáiz (Finca La Emperatriz), in the D.O.Ca. Rioja , Spain.

Until the end of 2019, the range of wines under the “Finca La Emperatriz” label included nine wines made with grapes from different vineyards of the same name, and when the grapes from a harvest ran out, the wine was no longer available. These wines have been replaced by this new selection with the Finca La Emperatriz Gran Vino Tinto taking the place of the Finca La Emperatriz Crianza and Reserva wines.

From 2019, the D.O.Ca. Rioja established a new geographical indication classification system that seeks to value the terroir as a recognition of the quality it brings to the wine. This means there are three new classifications: Viñedo Singular, Vinos de Municipio and Vinos de Zona.

Finca La Emperatriz has the Viñedo Singular certification, which is given to small, old plots with limited but high quality production and which, in summary, must comply with a series of strict standards to prove their quality. This is the highest of the three certifications.

With a desire for new things, Eduardo and Víctor Hernáiz refocussed Bodegas La Emperatriz, now known as Viñedos Hermanos Hernáiz, with the aim of strengthening their productions using this new geographical classification but not forgetting their origins by paying tribute to Eugenia de Montijo, Empress of France, the former owner of Finca La Emperatriz, which is the winery’s former name as well as the name of this ‘singular vineyard.’

Finca La Emperatriz Gran Vino Tinto is made with clusters from old vines aged between 50 and 65 years old from the Finca La Emperatriz vineyard, which has white boulder soils over a sandy-loam structure. These characteristics are perfect for vine cultivation and add an elegant touch to the wines.

The harvest is carried out manually in 180 kg pallets. When the grapes reach the winery, the clusters are all destemmed and 40% are pressed for alcoholic fermentation in concrete tanks. The three varieties are harvested at the same time, placed in the same tank and cold macerated for 5 days.

The grapes ferment with their native yeasts and with pump overs once a day. After 20 days of post-fermentation maceration, the resulting wine is transferred to barrels for malolactic fermentation. Finally, the wine ages for 18 months in barrels, 60% of which are new French oak and the remaining 40% are second-use American oak.
200691
2000 Items

Ratings Finca La Emperatriz Gran Vino Tinto

Tasting notes Finca La Emperatriz Gran Vino Tinto

Alcohol: 14.50%
Production area: Spain La Rioja
Designation: D.O.Ca. Rioja
Tipo de Uva: 70% Viura, 28% Tempranillo, 2% Garnacha Tinta
Contains sulphites
Alcohol: 14.50%
Production area: Spain La Rioja
Designation: D.O.Ca. Rioja
Tipo de Uva: 70% Viura, 28% Tempranillo, 2% Garnacha Tinta
Contains sulphites
Finca La Emperatriz is a winery in La Rioja that cultivates its vineyards with millimetric precision. They are parcelled out to produce modern wines, both in classic coupages with grapes of different varieties and plots, to achieve round, balanced and tasty wines. Just as in their single-vineyard wines, which show the personality of the grape and the character of the specific terroir where they come from.
Pictures and situation Viñedos Hermanos Hernáiz (Finca La Emperatriz)
Rioja is one of the most important areas of wine production in the world. It has a long history, and exceptional soils and climates. From the Tempranillo and Grenache varieties they make great red wines that are masterfully aged which demonstrates the experience passed from generation to generation.
Pictures and situation D.O.Ca. Rioja