D.O. Montsant (Catalonia)
Dido Blanc is a white wine from the D.O Montsant produced by Venus la Universal. This wine is a blend of Macabeo (50%), Garnacha Blanca (40%) and Xarelo (10%).
The grapes used for Dido Blanc originate from different estates situated in D.O. Montsant. Two of the estates possess vines older than 70 years old, in the third, where the varieties Garnacha Blanca and Macabeo are cultivated, the vines are 25 years of age.
After the harvest, the grapes are transported quickly to the winery. 15% of the grapes are macerated with their skins for 3 to 5 days in open barrels, the other 20% are macerated also with skins for 24 hours and the remainder is pressed.
Once the must is obtained, the wine is aged for 8-9 months. The 30% rest in amphora jars and the remaining 70% rests in the barrel.
Venus la Universal is one of the most prestigious wineries of Montsant. It was founded in Falset in 1999.