Midway through the 19th Century, the phylloxera plague caused an increase in the size of the Jumilla production area since many of the surrounding areas were strongly affected. Unlike today, Jumilla was not a winemaking centre at the time. However, in light of these new circumstances, Roque Martínez and two business partners founded the first commercial winery in Jumilla in 1870.
His son, Pedro Luis Martínez García grew the business during the first half of the following century, rendering the "Pedro Luis Martínez" name synonymous with quality wines, entrepreneurial spirit and commercial value.
In 1957 the estate and the winery's management passed onto the next Martínez generation, further growing and modernising in the process.
Today, the winery, controlled by the family's fourth generation, relies on modern winemaking techniques and a business plan with which they hope to produce wine of the highest possible quality.